finding a more authentic, playful life --- finding your story


Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Change Ahead.

I have been doing a 21-day meditation with my good friends Oprah and Deepak. They sure are nice. We have coffee and chat and then meditate. They have lots of good advice too. I love friends like that.

Anywho...

...one of the afternoons I spent with O and D, they said some things I thought I would share with you
---about change.


Change is hard. We all hate change. In fact, I just auditioned for a TV show where my character said the exact same thing. (It's following me!) CHANGE SUCKS. We think keeping things the same is easier. 

Well Deepak says "There is wisdom in change." Yes I know. Blah blah blah. Wisdome-schmisdom! Change still sucks, kim. But he's right. We learn in change, right? We learn more of what we want, what we don't want, who we are. Etcetera etcetera etcetera.

It's in change that we begin to more closely align our lives to what we want. It's like a "get out of jail free" card. Scary but true. 

So seek out the new and fresh. See how it feels. Try something unknown. There is nothing terrible in the unknown. It's just unknown. It could be wonderful. How do you know? So no need to be afraid.Improv teaches us to SAY YES. Foundational improv tool: SAY YES. It's how things move forward. It's how things happen. So I'm a firm believer and coach in always saying yes. I try to also live by that philosophy as much as possible. 

YES!

Well my buddy Deepak likes the idea too. But he says it a little differently. He suggests us to "say yes more than you say no." Love that Deepy! It's even easier for those of us more fearful. You don't have to say yes all the time, just say yes more than you say no. Today. 

And then tomorrow.

And then the next day and see how your life changes. 

You have a little courage today so you can have more tomorrow.

ALL of this leads to a more dynamic life. And isn't that what we all want?

A more dynamic life.

Hang on, Oprah's at the door. I gotta get this...


YES!


2 comments:

  1. There has been and will continue to be much change in my life. Just recently I revised the Rumi quote on change. And now more and more I'm trying to really embrace that change is not just a shifting FROM one thing/place TO another. But rather a perpetual unfolding. I am working on re-calibrating my thinking and moving away from that notion of harsh starts and stops and consider more the ebb and flow.

    Thanks for this piece.

    Also I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been and will continue to be much change in my life. Just recently I revised the Rumi quote on change. And now more and more I'm trying to really embrace that change is not just a shifting FROM one thing/place TO another. But rather a perpetual unfolding. I am working on re-calibrating my thinking and moving away from that notion of harsh starts and stops and consider more the ebb and flow.

    Thanks for this piece.

    Also I miss you.

    ReplyDelete