finding a more authentic, playful life --- finding your story


Thursday, June 5, 2014

A Life Lived

Author Dawna Markova wrote a book entitled "I will not die a life unlived." Love it. Love that phrase. That is also my philosophy and perhaps yours. Live life fully, because it is brief, a mere blip in the whole scheme of things and we never know when it is going to end.

A friend of mine from Minneapolis recently died. I didn't see her often, and not for quite a while, but she was best friends with a very dear friend of mine. She was always around and certainly in my life's periphery: Mary, Mary, Mary. She had a dry sense of humor, was a generous and kind human being and a wicked costume designer. And then suddenly, unexpectedly, she died.

I mourn her loss of life, her missing essence in this world, but there's something else. Her death shook me.  She died suddenly and without reason, really. How did this happen? That must be what her family and close friends are asking, as well. But this is what happens, right? This is what happens. 

Still...

I know it's a cliche, but a cliche because it's true: Life is short. Take yours by the horns. I will too. We never know when it ends.

Rest in peace, Mary. Thank you for your gifts. Thank you for your spirit. Thank you for your art.

You did not die a life unlived.

No comments:

Post a Comment