finding a more authentic, playful life --- finding your story


Thursday, January 16, 2014

pushing pause.



The weather has been crazy in the Midwest. Super cold and then mild and then super cold again. Difficult to figure out how to dress every day! Difficult to weather the change.

My 95 year old grandpa just died. We were very close. We talked 2 or 3 times a week. I visited him from across country 4 or 5 times a year. We were very close. I miss him. It is a difficult change to weather.

Life, of course, like the weather, always changes. Nothing stays the same. Ever. No matter how hard we cling to the current, it is beyond our grasp, and becomes the past. It flies away in the winter wind.

Improv teaches us to let go of the past, to live in this moment, to say yes to what is given us here and now—bitter winds or bitter loss, staggering failure or triumphant success. But sometimes I want to linger a bit, slow down time, live in the past, remember what was. This is one of those moments. I am not ready for this change quite yet. I will be soon, but not quite yet. So I sit. And as the wind howls outside, I wait for the sun to shine once again, for the weather to change, to weather this change.

No comments:

Post a Comment